Teachers of World Languages, including Heritage Language, are invited to participate in the professional learning programs, Foundations of Effective Language Teaching I and Foundations of Effective Language Teaching II. Applications may be accepted by fax or by mail. The program will be offered on five Saturdays: September 28, October 26, December 7, January 25, and March 1 from 8:00 to 3:30 at the Berkeley Language Center, Dwinelle Hall, on the UC Berkeley campus. Applications are due September 13, 2013, and payment by September 20.
Foundations I (no prerequisite): Participants will:
· Integrate Common Core Literacy Standards in World Language planning and instruction.
· Build a toolbox of effective strategies that engage students and lead to authentic proficiency-based assessments.
· Develop instructional units and daily lesson plans that incorporate the California World Language Content Standards.
· Learn classroom management techniques that help keep students on task.
Foundations II (prerequisite: Foundations I): Participants will:
· Strengthen student achievement by incorporating the Common Core Literacy Standards in teaching strategies and lesson design.
· Add free web 2.0 tools to engage, inform, and support diverse learners through 21st century technology.
· Learn strategies that actively engage diverse learners and build communication skills that lead to increased literacy.
· Select and incorporate culturally authentic film and other resources that develop linguistic and cultural competence.
· Design a unit in which two or more themes are interwoven to address real-world issues.
· Network with colleagues to exchange ideas, materials, concerns, and resources.
The cost for each course is $250* with a 10% discount if you previously participated in EBWLP.
The application deadline is September 13, 2013 and payment is due by September 20, 2013. Click here to download the flyer and application form for Foundations I, and here for the flyer and application form for Foundations II.
For registration questions, please contact Victoria Williams via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (510) 877-4002 x19. For all other questions please contact EBWLP Site Co-Directors, Nancy Salsig and Don Doehla, via email: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also reach them by phone at (510) 877-4002 x15.