BLC Postdoc Job Announcement
Postdoctoral Scholar at the Berkeley Language Center
The Berkeley Language Center (BLC) invites applications for a one-year (renewable for a second year) postdoctoral scholar position. Starting date is 7/1/2013 or later; end date for appointments longer than one year is no later than 6/30/2015.
Founded in 1994 by Claire Kramsch, the Berkeley Language Center is a unit in the Division of the Arts and Humanities of the College of Letters and Sciences. The BLC’s mission is to support the learning and teaching of the 55+ heritage and foreign languages taught on the Berkeley campus. The BLC provides language instructors with opportunities to learn about new developments in applied linguistics, sociolinguistics, language pedagogy, and second language acquisition theory. It supports language research and its dissemination, and supports faculty production of new language learning materials.
The BLC postdoctoral scholar will engage in applied linguistic research, sharing that research with the BLC foreign language teaching community by doing such things as:
• actively engaging in a program of structured research;
• engaging with the Berkeley foreign language teaching community through reading groups, organizing a conference, and other similar activities.
• giving a lecture in the BLC Lecture Series (http://bit.ly/TgqxJ1);
• participating in meetings of the BLC Fellows (http://bit.ly/U584dz; http://bit.ly/12ybFYc);
Required: PhD, by date of hire, in a relevant field and commitment to research related to the teaching and learning of foreign languages and cultures.
To apply, go to: http://aprecruit.berkeley.edu/apply/JPF00124
And include the following documents and information:
1. - a one-page cover letter summarizing your qualifications for the position;
2. - a research plan and proposal of activities, including a timeline, not to exceed two pages.
3. - a one-page CV highlighting your education, employment, and any publications or presentations relevant to the proposed research project.
4. - 3 Letters of Recommendations. All letters will be treated as confidential per University of California policy and California state law. Please refer potential referees, including when letters are provided via a third party (i.e., dossier service or career center), to the UC Berkeley statement of confidentiality: http://apo.chance.berkeley.edu/evalltr.html.
We will begin reviewing applications March 15; position is open until filled. This position carries an annual salary of $42,000.
The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.