Found in Translation: Aria Razfar, Oct. 24

The Berkeley Language Center
Cordially Invites You to the Upcoming Meeting of Its

Found in Translation (FIT) Working Group 

“Cracking the Code: Language, Learning, and Technology in Dystopian Times

Aria Razfar, Professor of Education and Linguistics, University of Illinois at Chicago 

*  *  *

Wednesday, October 24, 2018

12 p.m. – 1 p.m., B-4 Dwinelle Hall

I draw on the NIDALS framework of language, learning, and identity and semiotic data visualization in order to better understand how “Trump” became an icon of a populist movement in the United States.  I will draw on several major narrative events that have occurred during the presidential campaign, after the elections, as related to classroom interactions.  I will examine how Twitter mediated the rise of Trump discourse.  Using a method of computational linguistics and semiotic analysis, I will identify and organize into major archetypes the signifiers in Trump’s tweets in order to graph maps that reveal patterns and gaps.  I will conclude with the major implications of the findings for teacher education and student learning.

ABOUT FIT: We are a growing group of U.C. Berkeley community members interested in language, culture, and cross-cultural communication.  We invite you to join us!  Refreshments and discussion to follow.   Questions? Contact: Elyse Ritchey  elyseanneritchey@berkeley.edu  and Vesna Rodic,  vrodic@berkeley.edu

Categories